Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Responce to Class: the What We Can Do:

This is so funny, becasue just last night i was sitting in the Rainbow Alliance offcie with Chirs and Jarod, and we had the door open, just chillin'. Now the office is pretty rainbowy and loud, its hard to pass by and not know what we're all about. Beyond that we are a fairly outspoken gorup on campus, our names and faces are our there, and poeple know us, so they know that we aren;t afraid to call people out on their bullshit.

So this person passes by the office, while our door is open, and she glances in but keeps walking at a steady pace, tlaking to her friend on the phone. And about five paces past the office she says, loud and clear "That's SO Gay!"

Well, Chris,Jarod, and I, in perfect syncrinization, all register what she said and sigh. It was the funniest thing- we all had the same reaction. All our work and this is what happens. What the fuck. We sat there tlaking about it and i decided that i wasn't going to stand for it. so i made a sign for the door of the rainbow office, and below is that picture. im tired of it, and we can;t correct anyone, but in our "safe haven" we got slapped in the face and it hit home that our work is far from over and there is a real need for us on campus.

Please, for me, whether you support me or not, don't intentionally hurt me. I'm not your stomping block, your punching bag, your worry stone, or your pillow. Pease dont put me down so you may feel better, don;t get high of degrading those around you. I don;t go around coughing "breeder" at you, dont cough "dyke" at me. I'm being mature, and i expect the same decency from you that im giving. Thank you.

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What your saying here is so true but the only reason people say that is because they have never been corrected when they were younger.. Like I'm trying to teach my 9 year old cousin that saying your so gay isn't something she should be saying because there is kids in her school that are already saying it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with your argument here. After taking this class i would notice my friends and even catch myself saying something ignorant like "that's gay" and now i will confront my friends whenever i do hear them say something like that. I now know these saying are down grading and terrible and agree completely with your blog here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice activism, Eva. Too bad you have to do it so often!

    ReplyDelete